Being on a weight loss journey can sometimes become challenging. It may seem like it takes forever to get to your end goal. Here are 8 things you can do to make your weight loss a little easier.
- 1. Take your time eating. People who eat faster, gain weight over time. Eating more slowly helps you to feel full and it also will release more weight-reducing hormones. It takes about 20 minutes from the time you start eating for your brain to register fullness. Feeling full will lead to eating less.
- 2. Get plenty of fiber. Studies have shown that people who eat more fiber, tend to have healthier body weights. Fiber is a carbohydrate found in plant foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Unlike other simple carbs, fiber is not easily digested by your body. It will pass quickly through your digestive system without causing your blood sugar to rise. Fiber has no specific fat-burning properties. However, it does help you feel full without adding a lot of extra calories. Aim for 25-30 grams daily.
- 3. Drink plenty of water. A recent study showed that drinking water 30 minutes prior to a meal, increased weight loss by 44% over a 3 month period. Water is a naturally calorie-free beverage. You can drink all you want without worrying about excess calories hindering your weight loss. If you do not like to drink plain water, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your glass.
- 4. Avoid fruit juice and sugary drinks. These type of drinks are loaded with sugar and very few nutrients. One 12oz can of soda contains 39 grams of sugar, and 8 ounces of orange juice contains 21 grams.
- 5. Weigh daily. Studies have shown that those who weigh themselves daily, are more likely to lose weight and to keep it off. There is no need to weigh multiple times a day. Pick one time daily (first thing in the morning is ideal).
- 6. Eat mainly whole, unprocessed foods. Eating whole foods is healthier and much more filling. It provides more nutrients and fiber which helps us to feel fuller and prevent overeating.
- 7. Eat a breakfast with plenty of protein. Eating a breakfast high in protein has been shown to reduce cravings which in turn helps to reduce overall calorie intake throughout the day. It takes more energy to digest protein, which helps you to feel fuller longer.
- 8. Get plenty of sleep. One of the biggest risk factors for weight gain is poor sleep. Sleep duration affects hormones regulating hunger. Lack of sleep also leads to daytime fatigue, which can result in less physical activity.
For more weight loss tips and guidance, make an appointment with one of our trained weight loss professionals at any of our Blue Sky MD offices.