5 things to know about Botox Cosmetic.
- Around since the 70s, Botox continues to be a safe, popular and effective treatment for the prevention of fine lines and wrinkles. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows.
- Botox is safe and will not cause you to get ill. The chances of getting sick from Botox used in cosmetic doses are limited to an allergic reaction that can occur from any drug or food. The most common side effects include swelling or bruising at the injection site, headache or flu-like symptoms.
- Botox provides temporary relief of fine lines and wrinkles. The effects can last anywhere from four to six months. Lines and wrinkles will begin to reappear as muscle action gradually returns and will need to be treated again to maintain a wrinkle-free look. With treatment, over time, the lines and wrinkles often appear less severe because the muscles are being trained to relax.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or plan to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before receiving botox treatment. When scheduling your appointment, tell your doctor if you’ve received any type of botulinum toxin injections within the past four months or if you take muscle relaxants, sleeping aids or allergy medication. If you take blood thinners, you may need to forgo these medications for several days before your injection, to reduce your risk of bleeding or bruising. Discuss this with your doctor before forgoing medication.
- Botox can be used to treat chronic migraine headaches in adults. Botox is injected around the head and neck at 12 week intervals to prevent or dull future headache symptoms. Botox has also received FDA approval to treat severe underarm sweating when antiperspirants just don’t work.
If you are interested in Botox or want more Botox information, contact Blue Sky MD today to schedule a consultation and take advantage of our monthly special: purchase 25 units of Botox and receive a complimentary Dr. LaMond Signature Facial.