One of the challenges of keeping your weight down, or losing weight, during winter is that the colder weather has most of us craving comfort food. Food that is usually loaded in calories and fat. Don’t let your comfort food craving crash your diet. There are plenty of low calorie, low fat recipes that will satisfy your taste buds without adding inches to your waist. Check out this low calorie soup recipe from Skinnytaste.com.
Servings: 6 • Size: about 1 1/3 cups • Calories: 292 • Fat: 10 g • Carb: 29 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 22 g • Sugar: 2 g Sodium: 739 mg • Cholest: 8.5 mg
For the soup:
- cooking spray
- 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth*
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups quick marinara sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 oz broken lasagna noodles, whole wheat or gluten free*
- 6 tbsp part skim shredded mozzarella cheese*
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
*check labels for gluten free
Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, spray with oil and add the sausage; cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the parsley, broth, water, marinara sauce, bay leaves and fresh black pepper and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, and 2 tbsp parsley and mix. Add the broken pasta and cook uncovered according to package directions. Divide the Skinnytaste lasagna soup between 6 bowls and top each with 2 tbsp ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella, fresh cracked pepper and fresh basil on top. Makes about 8 cups.