Have you been tested for a thyroid imbalance? Do you know the symptoms of hypothyroidism? Making sure your thyroid gland is working properly is extremely important to your body’s overall health and well-being.
The thyroid plays a huge role in our body and how we feel on a daily basis. The hormones released by the thyroid control how our body uses food for energy, also known as our metabolism. Therefore, if we have a slow thyroid, called Hypothyroidism, our brain, heart, muscles, liver, and other parts of our body may be working slowly as well. If our body works too slowly, we are not going to feel well.
Here are some common symptoms of hypothyroidism:
- Menstrual cycle changes – Your cycle can become longer, shorter, or heavier than normal.
- Hair loss – You may experience hair loss or thinning.
- Dry skin – The thyroid hormone plays a key role in skin health. Therefore, if you have an imbalance, you may see changes in your skin.
- Constipation – Yep, a slow thyroid can slow down digestion making you constipated.
- Memory problems/brain fog – Hypothyroidism can slow down the brain and make it hard to focus.
- Depression – Underactive thyroid can compromise mood which can lead to depression.
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight – Slow thyroid = slow metabolism which means we don’t burn as many calories at rest. Therefore, if metabolism slows down but our food intake stays the same, we could gain weight.
- Sensitivity to cold – Feeling cold when everyone else is comfortable is one of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid.
If thyroid conditions are left untreated, they can lead to elevated cholesterol, heart issues, osteoporosis, and infertility. Research is also showing a strong link between thyroid disease and other autoimmune diseases such as diabetes, anemia, and arthritis. Symptoms of thyroid disease can vary from one person to the next, and not every symptom means that you have a thyroid disorder. If you have been experiencing and are concerned about any of these mentioned symptoms, please consult your physician. They can order and perform appropriate testing to check your thyroid.
We at Blue Sky MD are here to provide you with a complete evaluation of thyroid function. We will provide a physical examination, take a complete history of symptoms, conduct lab testing, and provide safe and effective treatment. Contact any of our Blue Sky MD offices today to schedule a visit.